A Year In review...
I love fresh starts and new beginnings, which is why I love this time of year. The idea of being able to start over, be given a chance to change, grow, further develop and expand excites me. It's the same reason I love my birthday, a new month, week, and day. It all gives me a sense of eagerness that at the root, is the endless possibility to be better than I was the moment before.
2020 has been challenging to say the least for most people. I would imagine that 2021 is likely being anticipated more than any other year in the last century. As we move towards putting the past behind us , as we set our hopes and desires on the future, I have taken some time to reflect on the lessons I have learned from 2020. I believe no matter how challenging an experience is, if you can gain wisdom, knowledge and insight from it then the experience itself offers you a gift in the midst of the challenge.
My Gift Lessons of 2020
1. Most people are going to believe what they believe
2. Most people who are open to a different perspective will seek out opposing view points
3. Most people are genuinely afraid to discuss matters of race and equity in meaningful ways
4. Passive aggressiveness on social media platforms, isn't passive aggressive at all, it's just aggressive
5. No matter how long yours or my social media post, it's unlikely to change anyone's conviction
6. Social media debates on serious topics are frivolous and usually unproductive and sometimes harmful
7. I will never grow by surrounding myself with people who think and believe the way I do
8. Some of the smartest and seemingly rational people are still prone to believe in conspiracy theories
9. Misery is insatiable
10. Negativity is like an octopus with multiple arms and legs, attempting to grab everything and everyone into it's embrace
These are some of my lessons, as you reflect on yours I hope they make your New Year all the more rewarding. Happy 2021 and Happy New Year!
Just a girl with lots of random thoughts, ideas, dreams and opinions about...well everything!